Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yet Another Man That Got Away

This is a story from a few years back. To give you a little back drop, I grew up in College Park, Georgia before my mom moved to Decatur. Once I moved out of my mom's house, I got my first aparment back in College Park.
While I lived in College Park initially, I went to Banneker High School. I had two classmates that were identical twin brothers. Lionel and Lanier. Lanier was the slower of the two, in the special eduation classes and all. Lanier walked with a very pronounced limp and he had that disorder where his arm was always folded in front of him. Needless to say he got a lot of good natured ribbing from our classmates. And then there was Lionel *sighs dreamily* Lionel was SO hot. He was too cool for school. Literally, because his ass was never there. But the 2 days out the month he did show up I would sit in class with him laughing and joking away while staring into those beautiful green eyes of his. Man, I wanted Lionel.
Anyway when I moved away from College Park I forgot about Banneker, including Lionel and Lanier. So imagine my surprise when I'm at the bus stop after I moved back, and I see one of the brothers sitting a few benches over. But which one was it? At this point it had been many years since I had seen either brother. The guy looks at me and he says "didn't you go to Banneker?" and I replied "yes". I plotted. If this was Lionel, this was my chance to make him mine. No longer were we bound by the social stigmas of "lame" and "popular". We were adults, I aged rather well, if I do say so myself, and if I played my cards right, Lionel could finally be mine for the taking. But was this him?
I decided that the best way to figure out which one this was was to ask questions. He told me that he had a child or two (I don't recall) and that he and his babymama had separated. He also told me that he worked at UPS and that he lived in an apartment with a roommate. And that was all the evidence I needed. Lanier with his limp and messed up arm wouldn't have a babymama, a decent job, and an apartment. I quickly wrote my phone number out, in hopes of FINALLY linking up with Lionel. We talked a bit more, before he announced that his bus was approaching in the distance. He promised to give me a call as we said our goodbyes. The bus arrived and he got up. And he LIMPED onto the bus.

1 comment:

Kingsmomma said...

LMAO... SO you know I'm going to need an update