Monday, October 10, 2022

Good Problems

I drove up to North Carolina to spend time with my bio mom (I know...). On the way up, I listened to some Usher tunes, which reminded me of a good night I had some years back.

A girlfriend invited me to a party she was bartending for. The owner of the home is a well-known musician and he would periodically have a live band in his basement, jamming out. Since my friend was stuck on the bar, I knew I'd have to schmooze, not a problem for me. While there, I ran into a woman that is pissed at me about something that happened literally 20 years ago. I saw her and detected her energy, so we silently agreed to remain on opposing sides of the room, although I occasionally peeped her giving me the stank eye. I think its ridiculous that she's so opposed to me. We were kids and her hands aren't exactly clean either. But either way, I wish her well. Truth be told, I wasn't mean mugging her back because I don't care enough to do so. She could wish death on me, or she could go home to a shrine of me while she lights a candle and repeats my name, followed by my birthday and favorite color. I wouldn't give a shit. Never the less, I wasn't there for her anyway.

I heard an Usher song that I'd never heard before, and walked to the DJ booth to find out what it was, so that I could download it. It turned out to be the song "That's What It's Made For" from the Confessions album. I occasionally chatted up strangers, when I peeped the trumpet player, quite a good looking guy. But he looked familiar. I walked up to him and introduced myself and asked if we'd ever met before. He told me his name, and as it turns out, we had not met previously. Didn't matter, the introduction was done and I was glued to the handsome stranger for the rest of the night. Every now and again, I would look up and see Ms. Stank Eye mean mugging me even harder once I'd clearly made the acquaintance of the handsome trumpet player. I assume she meant intimidation by the sharp looks, but the result was my inner glee watching her seethe as I playfully chatted up my new friend.

As the night wore on, the signs were there that my new friend could definitely get the goods, and he was interested as well. We discussed our plans for the early morning (I had to work at Petsmart, and he had to play trumpet at his church). As we started to leave, one of the homeowner's friends stopped the trumpeter and began discussing music. I sat patiently on a nearby barstool as the musician danced seductively between my legs.

Their conversation went on longer than I would have preferred, but it eventually ended. We were both clearly exhausted and tried to find ways to make a rendezvous work. My work uniform was at home, but we were 30 minutes from my home, and he was an additional 30 minutes out. We eventually relented that there was no way for our schedules to allow us to dance the forbidden dance. We hugged one another good night, and never saw one another again.

While in North Carolina with my mother, I shared with her various stories about my life, including my interactions with Civil Rights icons like Dr. Lowery, Andrew Young, and John Lewis. I then went on to share with my mother that I hate wasting food and often stuffed myself after spending time in Fred Hampton Junior's prior organization, where we fed hungry people of Atlanta. As we talked, it occurred to me that I've had some encounters with some pretty impressive people. I even admitted to my mother that I tend to be attracted to men with access to power. And quite honestly, my quick wit and outgoing nature gets me into many rooms that someone like me would normally would not be in.

While driving home from North Carolina, a girlfriend who has many Hollywood connections asked me if I wanted to join her for a Halloween party in the Hollywood Hills. I damned near crashed my car! WHAT?! ME?! Halloween party in the Hollywood Hills?! SHIT YES!!!

While in Los Angeles a few years back, I drove silently up and down the Hollywood Hills, coincidentally while The Weeknd's song "The Hills" played in the background. I was actually looking for the Hollywood sign, unaware that it is unlit (therefore, unfindable) at night. I was amazed at how well the song really did capture the energy of the neighborhood. You could almost feel the rich decadence and secretive debauchery. I told myself then that I wanted to attend a party in the Hills one day. I didn't know when or how, but I knew I wanted to at least kiss that world, before returning back to mine. I reached out to another connected girlfriend in L.A. to ask if she had any connects that could get us in at a party, but alas, she did not. 

I eventually landed back by the Chinese Theater before a security guard informed me that the stupid sign wasn't lit up and I was wasting my time looking for it at night. Thankfully Fred served as a tour guide and led me straight to it a day or so later.

I arrived at a coffeehouse in Charlotte on my way home and called my friend with my laptop in front of me, trying to find out how or if I could make this possible with my work schedule. I'd actually had plans for Halloween in Atlanta, the first time in forever. I was looking forward to my weekend of drunken antics in my hometown. But a Halloween party in the Hollywood Hills?! How could I say no?!

Welp, I'm heading home, but all I can think myself is how amazing it is to be able to live this sort of life. I'm a social worker from Atlanta, Georgia, but I'm able to live the life that dreams are made of. I hold court with beautiful men and I get invited to amazing parties where I further expand my network and experience even greater times with even greater people. I'm not saying I'm the shit. But I'm not saying that I'm not the shit either.

No comments: