Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Malika Goes Back to School


Well, as you know, I've been looking for work for a while now. Actually, my father has hooked me up with a job and I'm actually pretty stoked about it. But that doesn't mean that I'm not constantly looking for something else. Anyway, I looked around at jobs and so many of them are paying next to nothing. All I could think to myself was that I spent a decade in college only to look at job boards that only pay $12/hr.

Then I got to thinking about what I'd like to do, and it brought itself back to what I've been thinking about for a minute. I'd like to get into social work. So a masters degree in social work it is. I'm actually pretty geeked about it. I can still do my own thing on the side and work full time while getting my degree. Who ever knew that the girl they called stupid would be the one to get her master's degree?

I'm looking at going to Georgia State University and they actually offer a degree in African American Studies. Too bad I can't do that one too. The more I think about it, the more excited I get. As soon as it gets warm (I swear to God, it's so freaking cold right now. Black people aren't meant to live like this!) I'm going to go down to campus to beg my way into their graduate program. If that doesn't work, I'll be back at my alma mater. Either way, soon I'll be a graduate student. How cool is that?

3 comments:

Reed is a character in her own story said...

Yeah I'm proud of you!!! Good girl!! Get your Masters. I'm right with you I start back to grad school this week--and don't ever let anyone tell you you're not smart.

Kingsmomma said...

Congrats Girlie! check out the online application (bypass the cold)

Robyn Latice said...

Congrats on the job. Good Luck with school!